Pages



Wednesday, May 31, 2017

DHA While Breastfeeding

Ever since I found out I was pregnant with Taylor, I put my health on the forefront. I wanted to be the healthiest I could, because I knew everything I did to my body would have an effect on her. Now that she's nearing 8 months old, I still try to take care of myself as best as I can with healthy eating and exercise habits because I know that she will reap the benefits too, especially since I am breastfeeding her.

I was very excited to partner with Fit Approach to take an at home Breast Milk DHA Kit from Everly Well. They provide health and wellness tests for many different concerns such as thyroid, metabolism, and even food sensitivities. I love that they help people feel empowered to make health and lifestyle changes.

Why is it important to be aware of my DHA levels? DHA is a vital Omega 3 Fatty Acid for a baby's health as they grow for the first 2 years of their life, It's directly linked to cognitive development and visual activity in babies. 

Breast Milk is a near perfect mix of vitamins, fats, proteins and nutrients for babies. The benefits are numerous! I feel like measuring the DHA levels in my milk can let me know if me supply is ideal for Taylor's best development and if not, I can modify my diet to make it ideal. 

The test couldn't have been any easier. All that was required was a couple drops of breast milk collected onto the included sample card. They made sure to specify that you take the test first thing in the morning BEFORE you take any supplements (including any DHA). No doctors or lab visits! They even included the box and mailing envelope to send back the collection sample. Shipping was free both ways and very easy to understand results were accessible online within a week!

I got an email about a week after sending in my sample with my results. All of Everly Well's tests are authorized by a board certified physician. The results are then reviewed and approved by that same physician. These are results you can trust.

I was saddened to see that my results were a little less than stellar. My DHA levels were at .19% which put me in the elevated risk category. Everly Well suggested that I try to modify my diet to include more fatty fish like salmon, tuna, cod, and halibut and eat more eggs. I also supplement daily with a Prenatal DHA pill, that I have taken since I was pregnant and will continue to taker as long as I am breastfeeding. I'm confident that with these actions, and being more aware, I will be able to pull up my DHA levels.

If you'd like to take the Breast Milk DHA test from Everly Well please use my discount code (GOFAST15). You'll save 15% AND be more knowledgeable about what nutrients you're passing along to your baby in your milk!

5 comments :

  1. It's nice to hear more details about the significance of breastmilk, and even more so the essential fats and nutrients that babies need. This test seems so helpful (and easy) for all the mamas! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great thing for mamas...I'll definitely use this when I have a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so handy - I hate going to the lab, and it's so nice to be able to get information about your health online / from the comfort of your home! I just sent in my sample and am anxious to see what my results are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you can do this at home! I hear from my mama friends that something as easy as going to the doctor or the grocery store is SO much more challenging with an infant. So happy to see that this exists for when I have a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to hear that it was informative! Love that you can do this at home!

    ReplyDelete