Monday, October 17, 2016

Taylor's Birth Story

To accurate tell Taylor's birth story I must back up to the morning before. I had gotten up at 5 am, like I had practically every morning of my pregnancy, to run. But after a long night of getting up FIVE times to use the bathroom, I decided there was no way I could run that day (plus it was my rest day anyway...) so I headed out for a walk. I was so excited for that evening, it was going to be Adam and I's last date night before she arrived and we were going to see my all-time favorite band in concert, Mumford and Sons.

I came home from my 3 mile walk and immediate used the bathroom. TMI warning, but I noticed what looked like my mucus plug was beginning to shed. Excited, I bounded up the stairs, flipped on the lights in our bedroom, and dramatically exclaimed, "I think we are going to have our baby in the next 48 hours!" What a way for Adam to wake up, haha!

That whole day, I texted friends, googled my symptoms profusely, finished up as much work and laundry as I could, and even found just-in-case back up plans for our concert tickets that night. We decided to go to the concert anyway, figuring I had waited so long for it, and that I might as well labor and be in a little pain at the concert, than at home.

The concert was AMAZING!! I got tears I my eyes the first few songs, I was so happy in that moment. I had my favorite band, my amazing man, and we were going to meet our sweet girl within 24 hours!

So we arrived home from the hospital around midnight (which was saying a lot for us as we are usually in bed my 10, max). We were winding down at home and I was feeling some contractions. I figured before we went to bed, I should probably time them. So I downloaded a free timer app and sat on the couch for a good while timing them. I was actually shocked that they were the magical 5 minutes apart! They still weren't too strong though so I told Adam that we had better go to bed because it looked like we'd have a big day ahead of us tomorrow!

Well we headed upstairs and he, of course, fell asleep right away, I, on the other hand, couldn't sleep because the contractions were coming on stronger and more rapidly. So I stayed awake for the next hour or two and continued to time the contractions and they were still staying a steady 5 minutes apart, So I woke Adam up around 2:30 and told him I was going to call me doctor. She told me, "It sounds like you're in labor, why don't you head to the hospital." eeek! I started to tear up thinking, "this is really happening, I can't believe it!" We packed up a few more things, woke Brayden up (who at first was like, "Why are you waking me up so early?" and then when we told him why he got VERY excited!)

We arrived at the hospital a little around 4 AM (I wore my concert t that Adam had surprised me with that night). We got checked in and headed to triage. They checked me and I was disappointed that I was only a 3. But I knew that I had to get there early, because I had tested positive for GSB so they would need to give me as many bags of antibiotics before I gave birth as possible to protect both Taylor and I.

They had us walk the halls for an hour to see if that would get things moving. I remember thinking, "I wish I wore my fit bit for this" haha as we walked the halls until 5:30. After that the labor ward got busy, like really really busy. We still had our little triage room, but they were women laboring in the lobby and all of the delivery rooms are full. So the three of us continued to just hang out in our room. Meanwhile my contractions we getting strong and stronger. I was in so much pain. Every time one came on I had to grab Adam's hand so tightly, grimacing. Time ticked on and I started crying. I remember thinking, "I can't do this, I just want to rip this IV out of my arms and walk out of here." It hurt SO bad.

Finally a labor room opened up around 10:30 and tears were streaming out my face the entire walk over there. I did not remember being in this much pain when I had Brayden. When we got settled in to the new room, the nurse told me, "Okay so you are in pre-labor, dilated to a 3." I told her I was a 3 at 4:30 AM and hadn't been checked since then. She was shocked and checked me and was like, "Oh my goodness, you are at an 8! You poor thing, I'm so incredibly sorry, we need to get the anesthesiologist in here right away for your epidural and call your doctor too." THANK GOD!! I was in so much pain, having received no pain medication or anything up until that point.

I got my epidural, they broke my water, and my doctor came and around 11, they told me that the game plan was to finish the last bag of antibiotics around 11:30 and then we would be ready to start pushing. I couldn't believe things were moving so quickly! I had the nurse and my doctor remind me how to "push effectively" and after 5 minutes of pushing sweet Taylor Tate was born! They all knew that I was a runner and completely attributed the quick and easy birth to how fit I had stayed throughout my pregnancy.

I cried immediately when I saw her. I was just so incredibly happy and kept saying over and over, "I can't believe she is ours!" We've been home for about 10 days now and she is just so perfect. She's a terrific sleeper and wonderful eater and just so stinkin adorable! Her big brother Brayden is such a great helper and loves her so much. We all do. It's amazing how one little baby can bring so much joy to everyone's lives. We can't wait for her to grow up in such a loving close family like ours.  Taylor Tate, we love you so much and it's been such a privilege to be your mommy.


  1. Love! I love that your son was there too. So wonderful!

  2. Love! I love that your son was there too. So wonderful!

  3. She is precious, I'm so happy for you and your family! And I can't believe you went to a concert the day before -- you're totally hardcore! Haha

  4. Congrats! She's adorable. Thanks for inspiring me.

  5. This is going to sound crazy, but I thought I had to share! Throughout my pregnancy I was always perusing and following anything pregnancy/motherhood on Instagram. It must've been because of my likes that your page started coming up on my explore feed and although I wasn't yet following you, I was always amazed by how much you were accomplishing while being prego and to top it off you were a local girl too! Idk what took me so long, but I decided to follow you and therefore got to know more about you, your family, and your pregnancy. Fast forward to 10/6, my water broke, my husband and I are checking into the hospital and the waiting room is nearly empty for what appears to be a grandmother and expectant big brother, and a man comes walking out from behind the automatic doors to invite them on back, all grinning from ear to ear. I kept thinking to myself, hmm they seem familiar but idk why. Fast forward 24 hours and we welcome our baby girl and of course go to Instagram within a few days to share the news, and boom! I see you and your family had welcomed your baby girl on the 6th, at the same hospital, and I realize it was YOUR family I had briefly seen in the waiting room! And your birth story just confirms it all! Ever since it has been so fun, and at times reassuring, to get a glimpse of your journey of motherhood with your little lady born just a day before mine. Thanks for sharing! -Kristen (insta: kristen_raeann)

    1. Kristen!! This is amazing and I am so so sorry I'm just now seeing this - I totally went back through to re-read taylors birth story, I'm such a sap! WOW is all I can say and I'm just so so glad you shared that amazing story. I have goosebumps typing this haha. I'm off to follow you on intsa right now :)

    2. This comment has been removed by the author.