Pages



Thursday, April 19, 2018

Healthy, Nut Free, Protein Packed Snack Ideas

As an athlete and on-the go mom of two, snacks are always a big deal for our family! When can I have a snack? Did we make sure to pack the snacks? What did you pack for my snack?

Since so much time is spent snacking, I try to make snacks work for my family and I, not against us. This means planning and preparing snacks that are healthy, filling, and high in protein. High protein snacks that will fuel our bodies, satisfy our hunger in between meals, and boost our energy.

Usually if you think high protein snacks, you think of nuts, but don't we eat nuts in our household because my little girl is severely allergic, which can make finding simple healthy high protein snacks a little more challenging, but I. Here's a list if snacks we all love in our house, hopefully this gives you some new healthy snack ideas!

String Cheese - These are perfectly portioned and so tasty on their own, but often times I like to give them an extra dose of protein and wrap them in a slice or two of turkey deli meat -yum!

Hard Boiled Eggs - Our family loves these - I often buy a dozen and just boil them at the beginning of the week, perfect with just a little salt and pepper.

High Protein Low Sugar Yogurt - I love the Icelandic Skyr varieties. When berries are in season, I love to top there with some fresh raspberries too! Plain yogurt makes a tasty sour cream substitute with a hefty dose of protein too.

Sunflower Butter with Apple Slices - Sunflower butter is a must have for anyone that needs to avoid Peanut Butter. Beware, some varieties have added sugar, so just be sure to check the label before purchasing. It tastes amazing on anything that you'd normally eat PB with - spread on crackers or dipped into mini carrots are more of our favorite ways to enjoy it.

Jerky - No doubt my son and hubby's favorite snack! Make sure to look for high quality jerky meat that's grass fed, nitrate free and/or organic.

Pumpkin and/or Sunflower Seeds - Roasted and Salted these taste amazing. You can also make your own nut-free trail mix by combining seeds, and dried fruit like raisins and dried cranberries.

Edamame- My kiddos love these little green legumes! Trader Joe's sells big bags of frozen shelled edamame that you just need to defrost and enjoy!

Hummus - My favorite dip packs a huge protein punch and with so many flavor varieties on the market today it's such a yummy treat. Some of my favorite dippers are cucumbers, baby carrots, sliced yellow peppers, and pretzel slims.

fizzique Sparkling Protein Water - I'm a huge sparkling water fan and when I heard that fizzique makes a sparkling water that has 20 grams of protein per can, I couldn't wait to take my first sip. It's super yummy, almost creamy, and super refreshing. It truly helps satisfy my hunger, and sweet tooth, in between meals, and gives me a fizzy energy boost too! These cans are available on Amazon or at drinkfizzique.com. You can use discount code AMYJAYFIZZIQUE to save 10% off your order!

What are some of your favorite high protein, nut free snacks?


3 comments :

  1. This is great, I'm such a snacker and always looking for better, healthier options!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These snacks are so delicious! I, too, am always snacking, and need healthier options that are still yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. String cheese and sparkling water, please! I love this snacking roundup - I always need more ideas for when I'm teaching a lot and away from home most of the day!

    ReplyDelete