Pages



Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Tips for Changing a Busy Toddlers Diaper

It seems like I blinked and my girl went from a squishy little baby into an energetic toddler. She discovers so many new things every day and doesn't want to slow down for one second - which has made diaper changes lately quite the challenge. Toddlers are so busy pushing boundaries and testing their limits that anything that keeps them still and confined will most usually result in a battle. Here are a few strategies that I've been using lately to make diaper changing time go a little more smoothly:

1. Let them help. Most toddlers LOVE to help with anything and take such pride in pitching in. I let my daughter hold the diapers, get me wipes when I need them, even throw away the soiled diaper when we are done. Anything that keeps her involved typically keeps her happy.

2. Bond with them. I know this sounds cheesy, but toddlers love and absolutely notice when they are getting your full attention. Look them in the eyes, smile, sing their favorite songs, practice finger plays and clap your hands together. Practice their favorite words. Talk to them about what you're doing, what you've already done today, and what you're going to do together later.

3. Simplify things. There will be times when you've ran through all of the above tricks and nothing seems to be working. It's these times when you'll be thankful that you have the essentials on hand so you can change their diapers quick and easy - anywhere. I have a small basket downstairs that's stocked with  the essentials (diapers, wipes, cream) in addition to the same set up upstairs in her room.

One handy tool that I was introduced to recently and had to share is the SwipenSnap. It's a diaper cream applicator that allows you to easily apply diaper cream in seconds, with one hand, and keeps your hands nice and clean (Ever tried to wrestle a wiggly toddler with messy diaper cream all over your fingers?! Not fun at all!) You just replace the cap of your favorite diaper rash cream with the SwipenSnap lid, pull, squeeze, swipe on their bum, and snap it back into place - seriously using this thing makes me feel like I belong in the Indy 500 pit crew, it's that quick and easy! You can find out what creams are compatible and buy one HERE.

4. Distract them. Have things nearby that you can grab to distract them. My daughter loves little books, so I'll often have a couple within arms reach that I can grab and place into her little wiggly hands. I'll also sometimes grab one of her stuffed animals so that we can put a diaper on them when we are finished.

What are some tried and true techniques that you use to make diaper changes quick and easier for everyone?

1 comment :

  1. Thank you for sharing such great information but I would like to add that the Spatty diaper cream spatula is made of high-quality silicone, which is safe, non-toxic, and BPA-free. Your baby's sensitive skin won't be harmed by having a hand that is soft and smooth, without burrs or pointed edges, and this will give the newborns a positive user experience.

    ReplyDelete